24 October 2008

Pause, Play, Rewind

Pause, Play, Rewind

What if I gave you some buttons,
That could handle all of time?
And what if those three little buttons
Were Pause, Play, and Rewind.

What if we sat, side by side?
And looked through our memories together
Like looking through the T.V. channels
For the newscast or the weather

Pause, Play, Rewind

Rewind to 16 years ago
The day that I was born
And you held me in a blanket,
All wrapped up nice and warm

Play

Those first years were quite hectic,
Or so your stories tell
And sometimes you wanted to cry,
And sometimes you wanted to yell

Pause

At four years old I didn't know
Why Daddy went away
Or why everything had to change
After all that happened that day

Play

But we made it through the hard times
And things were looking up
Sometimes if you think about it
It's just an empty cup

And then we made the great big move,
Left what we knew behind
But we went to meet our family
So we knew that we'd be fine

Pause

Those years were tough but full of love
And things fell into place
Spending time with family and friends
Our town removed from the race

Play

Then we joined the race again
And moved states one more time
Leaving what we knew
Our family and friends behind

A chance to start again
A blessing in disguise
At least, you could call it that
If you looked through different eyes

Pause

Once again we settled in
We were here to stay
And still things were getting better
With each passing of the day

Pause, Play

A couple years then went by
With plenty of drama to spare
Some days and night feeling like
It would be easier not to care

But then things changed drastically
And our world was flipped around
We got a house, and I got sick
Our lives were upside down

Pause

Our lives are stuck on pause
While we try to figure it out
But love is always here
I know this without a doubt

Love has always been here
I know this much is true
I know that we have memories
And hope within us too

I love you 'til the end of time
Happy Mother's Day
-Bri

This is a poem I wrote my mom for Mother's Day
It goes with the last post quite a bit.

No comments: