04 November 2009

I should change my name

I was thinking something like...If-something-can-go-wrong/awry-it-will.


SO I had my LP with the aid of fluoroscopy and sedation yesterday. Propofol was used again.

I don't know if I mentioned this at the time when I swallowed the needle last December, but. Propofol and I? We don't get along.

Last time, as the drug was taking effect I became the sleepy, girly version of the Hulk. I had to be restrained and given a higher dose, so they essentially knocked me out instead of the conscious sedation they were going for. It also took a while for me to wake up, probably due to the fact that they had given me a larger dose and because I have Narcolepsy.

Anyhoo, back to yesterday.

So, we get to the hospital at about 2, get checked in, and get taken back to a room.
The nurses were completely awesome, very nice, and put me and my parents at ease. It took a bit to get all the technical stuff figured out, but after all that, I got changed, got on the bed, and we got started. Per Stanford's instructions, they had to draw 60cc's of blood. In case you don't know, that's equivalent to 2 fluid ounces of blood, which is...A LOT.

Then they get everything explained, all the "You could die from this, we don't expect any complications, but we have to tell you" speeches. I get moved down to the imaging room, get positioned on the bed how I needed to be, and they began the procedure.

I was given the Propofol, and apparently had no issues going under this time. They were able to draw the fluid they needed, and my back looks good, no massive bruising or anything.

As I was waking up, however, there were issues.

I became combative, had to be restrained by a lot of people, then straps.
During that time, I stopped breathing for a few minutes. Mom was in the room for that =(
I also seriously screwed up my back.

BUT, and here's the twist, we didn't know I'd hurt my back until about 30 min after I actually was completely awake. I tried standing up to put my jeans on, and nearly collapsed. My entire lower back/pelvic area had shooting pains all through it.

So, then I was taken from the radiology suite to the ER, because they needed to be sure that there were no issues with my spinal cord. It's only a muscle issue though. So I was at the hospital until 8:30 this time...

We also THOUGHT that I had been lucky and escaped a post-LP headache, but I wasn't that lucky. So I'm home early from school today, (Thursday) and finishing this post. I'm trying to get some fluids in my body before I go back to my cave and lay flat lol.

Ahhh. So, these are the issues I've run into. Plus more at school, which I'm not even in the mood to talk about right now.

I'm open to suggestions on how to cope!!